Continuing Non-Degree Program

If you hold at least a bachelor’s degree and want to take graduate courses without pursuing an actual degree, then the Continuing Non-Degree Program may be for you. Continuing non-degree students may enroll in graduate courses only or enroll in a combination of graduate and undergraduate courses in the same semester.

Apply Here! 

Get the Course Enrollment Request Form »

You may enroll only in courses for which you can obtain specific permission to register, which takes into consideration the academic background of the individual and course enrollment limitations.

  • Application Fees

    Continuing non-degree students may register for undergraduate- or graduate-level courses; however, graduate fees are assessed for all. Students in this program must also pay a $25 processing fee each semester they enroll through the program.

  • Credit and Hour Requirements

    Students admitted on a continuing non-degree basis may later submit a formal application to a degree program if they decide they wish to pursue a graduate degree. At that time, the department may recommend that credit earned as a continuing non-degree student be applied to the degree requirements; however, some departments and schools prohibit credit earned under this status from counting toward a degree program.

    If you are applying for admission as a continuing non-degree student and believe you may later wish to pursue a graduate degree, check with the school or department you’re interested in on its policy of applying credit earned as a non-degree student to a degree.

    The University Graduate School requires students admitted to the continuing non-degree program to:

    • Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
    • Acquire no more than 18 credit hours in one department
    • Have no more than two incompletes
    • Acquire no more than 12 credit hours in one semester

    Before enrolling, read the CND agreement »

    Continuing non-degree students are subject to the same policies as all Indiana University students, as well as the policies of the specific schools in which they take classes. Consult the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct »

  • Application and Course Enrollment

    Continuing Non Degree Application

    When applying, you must also submit a completed paper Continuing Non-Degree Program Course Enrollment Request Form for each course in which you wish to enroll to:

    Continuing Non-Degree Program Advisor
    University Graduate School
    Wells Library
    1320 E 10th St., Room E546
    Bloomington, IN 47405

    Get the Course Enrollment Request Form »

    You are required to obtain the signatures of the instructor and the department chairperson(s) of each course in which you wish to enroll. These signatures indicate that a department is willing to allow a non-degree student in the course if space is available at the time of registration—the signatures do not guarantee enrollment in the course unless the departmental staff choose to reserve space for the student.

    Course enrollments are processed on a first-come, first-served basis, and the University Graduate School cannot guarantee enrollment in a class due to space considerations.

    Returning students need to complete the Course Enrollment Request Form each subsequent semester. Student Central on Union (SCU) lists enrollment dates for all students.

    Learn about open registration dates at SCU »

  • Special Student Status

    Non-degree students who intend to study primarily in one department may also be admitted by that department, with the approval of the dean, as a special student. Not all departments admit special students.

    To be admitted as a special student, you must apply to the department the same way traditional students apply and indicate your desired status.


For further admission and program information, contact:

University Graduate School
Wells Library
1320 E. 10th Street, Room E546

Bloomington, IN 47405
(812) 856-4503Apply Now

Enrolling in Only Undergraduate Courses

If you plan to enroll in only undergraduate courses, contact the University Division Records Office:

Maxwell Hall 028
Indiana University
750 E. Kirkwood Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47408
(812) 855-7797

The Annual Security Reports, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for Indiana University campuses, are available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at