- Ph.D. in Science/Environmental Education and Inquiry Methodology
- Spokane, WA
Where did you complete your Undergraduate Studies?
- Washington State University - Go Cougs!
What degree are you working toward?
- I am working towards my PhD in Science/Environmental Education and Inquiry Methodology.
Why did you choose graduate school at IU Bloomington?
- Part of the decision was a gamble. It was difficult to know in advance if the supports and mentoring would be good fits, so I focused on my goals and did some research on the resources available on campus. My main goal during the search for grad schools was to find a program that allowed flexibility for me to study both science and college-level education in depth. The Science Education department at IU was one of the few programs that had research projects related to STEM teaching and learning at the college level. This got me in the door and I added a second major, Inquiry Methodology, to think more deeply about research. IU Bloomington also has excellent programs in biological and environmental sciences, history and philosophy of science, and a strong commitment to supporting faculty and graduate students to improve teaching with offices such as the Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning. With the benefit of hindsight, IU Bloomington was exactly where I needed to be to pursue my goals.
What's been your favorite academic accomplishment since you've been here?
- I was recently appointed as the Graduate Student Board Member for NARST: A Worldwide Organization for Improving Science Teaching and Learning through Research. This is one of the largest professional associations in my field and I get to work directly with the scholars whose work I study.
What do you enjoy most about life in Bloomington?
- I enjoy all of the local events, such as Taste of Bloomington or the Lotus Festival. I married and have two kids - there's a good balance of family friendly and academic-focused activities. Bloomington is also close to everything! My family and I can drive to Cincinnati, Chicago, Indianapolis, Louisville, etc. and other cool places in just a few hours.