- Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology
- Baltimore, Maryland
Where did you complete your Undergraduate Studies?
- Morgan State University
What degree are you working toward?
- I am currently working toward a Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology.
Why did you choose graduate school at IU Bloomington?
- Bloomington has a cozy small town feel and is just far enough away from major cities that I can concentrate on school work without city-life distractions, while taking a weekend getaway if I want to. The program I originally started was Ph.D. in Mathematics. The math department has a long history of producing quality mathematics and was diverse enough for me to explore coming straight from undergrad. The psychology program which I'm currently enrolled has some of the best cognitive psychologists in the world. Finding this collective of talent is rare and the department is very friendly. Both were good fits for me at the time I started, respectively.
What's been your favorite academic accomplishment since you've been here?
- Recently I received a prestigious fellowship which recognizes individuals for not only academic success, but social awareness and generosity of spirit amongst other qualities. My advisor gave me the space I desired to work in other aspects of being a person! Although academic success is absolutely the most important thing while being a graduate student, my advisor recognizes that there's more to success than just being a great researcher.
What do you enjoy most about life in Bloomington?
- I really enjoy meeting people. At our university, you can find people from all over the world (although sometimes you have to seek it out). Locals are typically friendly and the international students can teach you quite a bit also. The small town feel can help you feel at home if you're willing to go off campus and engage.