About Emissaries for Graduate Student Diversity
Established in 2007-08, the goal of the Emissaries for Graduate Student Diversity is to connect trained IUB graduate students to assist in the various stages of the graduate application and admission process, and provide information and referrals to on campus resources and services. Trained emissaries will help build graduate student community, create networking support, and serve as referrals to campus resources and providers. Community building emissaries are encouraged to be available in multiple ways by email, phone, and emissary program events. Underrepresented and minority students will be encouraged to approach community building emissaries with transition and adjusting to graduate school issues.
Mission and Goals
The mission of the Emissaries for Graduate Student Diversity is to broaden the participation of underrepresented students; and, to build a more inclusive IU Bloomington graduate student community.
Graduate School Emissary activities include:
- Responding to e-mail queries from potential graduate students
- Referring potential graduate students to the University Graduate School for assistance in applying to Indiana University
- Working with their respective Colleges on departmental recruitment activities
- Working with the University Graduate School on specific recruitment and retention activities such as Annual Networking Reception, Dinner, and Resource Fair, Graduate School Panels, Cultural Cuisine, Canvas and Paint, Campus Tours, etc.
- Getting You in Indiana University Recruitment Program
- Greeting prospective students
- Participating on panels with Faculty members and Student Services staff
- Leading highlight tours
- Hosting Diversity program activities
- Featuring students on social media features
Become an Emissary
If you are interested in becoming a Graduate Emissary, apply here. Deadline is April 2, 2021. For additional questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Prospective emissaries are interviewed in the spring.
Request an Emissary
If you are interested in applying to graduate school at Indiana University and would like to speak with a Graduate School Emissary, please email email@example.com. If you are a Faculty or Staff at Indiana University and would like to request that Graduate School Emissaries assist in an event, please contact Dr. Bianca Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org.