- IU Bloomington
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry
- Albuquerque, NM
Where did you complete your Undergraduate Studies?
- University of Notre Dame
What degree are you working toward?
- I am pursuing a Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry. The focus of my degree is developing novel synthetic methods to access a class of natural products.
Why did you choose graduate school at IU Bloomington?
- I chose IU Bloomington for several reasons: (1) the Chemistry department has a great reputation at the national level, (2) the research being done is exciting and cutting edge, (3) the top notch facilities and instrumentation that the department has, and (4) the low cost of living of Bloomington.
What's been your favorite academic accomplishment since you've been here?
- I have two favorite academic achievements. My first is passing candidacy. I struggled with course work and cumulative exams, so getting through candidacy was my moment of realization that I deserve to be in my program. My second favorite achievement is finally making my natural product after 4 years. It was a very surreal moment for me.
What do you enjoy most about life in Bloomington?
- I enjoy that Bloomington is small because it means that it only takes about 15 minutes to get anywhere, and I'm not distracted by the hustle and bustle of a large city. With that being said, there is still plenty that Bloomington offers in terms of outdoor activities (Lake Monroe and Lake Griffy), international dining (great Indian and Thai!), breweries (diehard Upland fan) and Oliver winery, which I enjoy with my husband outside of the lab. I also really enjoy how beautiful Bloomington is in terms of plant life. I'm from the desert, so I'm constantly amazed at how green it is here.