Fellowships & Awards
Fellowships and awards are great financial support options for graduate school. They do not require repayment and often come with no requirement other than academic progress.
Graduate students at IU find support through internal fellowships and awards, which is money that comes directly from IU.
External fellowships and awards are also available, which can come from organizations and corporations unaffiliated with the university.
Recruitment (Updated Guidelines Coming Soon)
- Adam W. Herbert Ph.D. and Master's Fellowships
- Educational Opportunity Fellowship (EOF)
- Graduate Scholars Fellowship
- Ronald E. McNair Scholars Graduate Fellowship
- President's Diversity Fellowship
Leadership and Service
- John H. Edwards Fellowship (Updated Guidelines Coming Soon)
- Santosh Jain Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Wells Graduate Fellowship
- Grant-in-Aid of Doctoral Research
- Grant-in-Aid of Master’s of Fine Arts Projects
- President's Diversity Dissertation Fellowship (Updated Guidelines Coming Soon)
- Future Faculty Teaching Fellowships (FFTF)
- Travel Award to Institute on Teaching and Mentoring (Updated Guidelines Coming Soon)
Merit and Achievement
- University Graduate School Distinguished Master’s Thesis Award
- University Graduate School Distinguished Ph.D. Dissertation Award
External fellowships are available from many organizations unaffiliated with the university. The list below is a starting point for finding external fellowships. In addition, the GradGrants Center website (http://www.indiana.edu/~gradgrnt/) offers resources for finding funding, and the Grad Grants Center consultants are available for one-on-one advising for external funding proposals.
- Andrew W. Mellon Fellowships
- Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM) Mentoring Travel Grants for Women
- Australia Endeavor Scholarships and Fellowships
- Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships (The Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation)
- Christine Mirzayan Science and Technology Policy Graduate Fellowship Program
- CIC Smithsonian Institution Fellowship
- Council on Library and Information Resources
- Critical Language Scholarship Program
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD)
- Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund Fellowship
- Environmental Public Policy & Conflict Resolution Ph.D. Fellowship
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral, Dissertation and Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Fulbright Program
- Harry Frank Guggenheim Foundation—Dissertation Fellowships
- Hertz Foundation
- International Dissertation Research Fellowship (IDRF) Program
- James Madison Graduate Fellowships
- John Carter Brown Library Research Fellowships
- Josephine De Karman Fellowship Trust—Graduate Fellowships
- Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship
- NASA Office of Education OSSI
- National Science Foundation
- New York State Assembly Internships
- Newberry Library Fellowships in the Humanities
- Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans
- Presidential Management Fellows Program
- Public Policy & International Affairs (PPIA) Fellowship Program
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Awards
- Research and Evaluation on Education in Science and Engineering
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement (McNair) Program
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Pre-Doctoral Fellowships
- Teach for America
- Thomas R. Pickering Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowship
- UNCF-Merck Science Initiative Research Scholarships and Fellowships
- Winston Churchill Foundation
- Woodrow Wilson Dissertation Fellowships in Women’s Studies
- Woodrow Wilson Indiana Teaching Fellowship
Research grants are also available. You can learn more at Academics & Research »
Decisions regarding most awards are made by individual graduate programs and can involve a stipend plus tuition and health insurance. The amount and length of these awards varies according to the award and the graduate program.
In many cases, you will need to apply to be considered for the awards listed above. Submit your application directly to your department.
Similarly, you may need to be nominated by a faculty member or department for consideration. Make sure you’re in communication with your department about all fellowship opportunities.
Every department or school has its own internal deadlines for nomination for these awards. Check with your individual department or school about internal deadlines.