The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program / Fulbright US Student Program
Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Program
The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Program gives doctoral students the opportunity to do full-time dissertation research abroad in modern foreign languages and area studies. Research projects must focus on one or more of the following geographic areas: Africa, East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands, South Asia, the Near East, Central and Eastern Europe and Eurasia, and the Western Hemisphere (excluding the United States and its Territories).
A student is eligible to receive a fellowship if he or she:
- Is a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States;
- Is a graduate student in good standing at an institution of higher education in the United States who, when the fellowship begins, is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution;
- Is planning a teaching career in the United States upon graduation; and
- Possesses adequate skills in the language(s) necessary to carry out the dissertation project.
Important deadlines to note:
- A Fulbright-Hays information session will be held Wednesday, February 9th from 2-3pm at the University Graduate School conference room (Wells Library, East Tower, 5th Floor, Room E546).
- Internal IU Review Deadline: Friday, February 24th, 2017 by 5:00pm
- This deadline is for the budget and human subject narratives ONLY. They should be submitted as a PDF to Emily Winters (email@example.com) via email. Students will be notified of any needed changes.
- Final Materials Deadline: Tuesday, March 7th by 5:00pm
- Although the final submission deadline is March 14th, this earlier deadline will allow the University Graduate School and the Office of Research Administration enough time to review applications and submit the institutional application. Please ask your letter writers to submit their letters of recommendation by March 7th as well. The application materials must ultimately be submitted by Indiana University through the G5 system.
Fulbright US Student Program
There will be three "Fulbright Friday" information sessions held this spring to introduce both undergraduate and graduate students to the Fulbright U.S. Student Program and the application process. Note that the content at each information session will be the same.
- Friday, March 31st from 4-5pm in the Hutton Honors College Great Room
- Friday, April 14th from 4-5pm in the Hutton Honors College Great Room
- Friday, April 28th from 4-5pm in the Hutton Honors College Great Room